Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Food and Agriculture

I am unsure when I started reading about the future of agriculture seriously, but it was a number of years ago. Since then, there have been regular episodes of excitement in the media. Daewoo being forced to cancel its land grab in Madagascar, China cancelling similar in Philippines, a new study on the dangers of biofuels and the continuing rising price of food.

However, I sense that coverage of the subject has recently moved to the next level. It seems that the mainstream media, not just economic, business or political journals are picking up the story and the more serious media is analysing this in a depth not seen before. I dont have statistics to prove this, but as an avid reader, I do believe that my instinct on this is pretty good.

I do believe that the world is facing an agricultural crisis, but the answer is very complex. It isn't just a case of ploughing money into biotechnology so that new seeds can be developed. It isn't just about land grabs, or water shortages or biofuels.

The problem is that it is about all of this and more. As such, it requires policy and application devised by individuals who have the capacity to cut across technical, process and political boundaries. It requires true 'big picture' thinking with detailed answers. Where are the people that have this capacity and the influence to make things happen?

I wish I knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment