Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Why Hire a 50 Year Old?

It feels like only yesterday I was a star!

I played first XV rugby and won Scottish Schools Athletics Gold.

I entered University, was elected to the Student Council and graduated with a selection of jobs. I was actually even headhunted when Citibank pulled me away from the initial attractions of SG Warburg.

Today I am 50 years old and am in search of someone who wants to pay for my services. Whether employment or consultancy doesn't matter. I just seek someone who sees value in what I bring.

My career started in 1987. I entered a throbbing dealing room, full to bursting with traders and salespeople. The September arrived and it quickly emptied.

In 1990 I moved to Tokyo just as the economic 'miracle' of Japan was shown to be pretty hollow. For 2 years I helped banks and companies cover up their pain, but Japan's problems were clear.

In 1993 I moved to Hong Kong. A few years of boom then 1997 arrived and the walls came tumbling down.

In 2001 I went out to pursue my own entrepreneurial activities. Yes, the tech bubble was bursting and I saw the pain with my own eyes.

So why should you hire someone who seems to follow disaster? That is exactly the reason.

The world feels dangerous today. Economically, the principle growth driver of China is in deep distress. How do I know? Simple, I dont follow the deep economic analysis or the multiple media commentators....I just speak to people on the ground. The same is happening in SE Asia which is clearly yesterday's story. South America is bust (once again), Europe has so many problems it is not worth listing them and Africa, Australia and Canada are experiencing the challenges of mortgaging their future to China's commodity growth.

I know what can happen here, but I am not valuable just because I am a doom and gloom merchant. Rather I am valuable because I can still identify growth.

Every 'disaster' I have witnessed has generated the most extraordinary business opportunities. Today is no different. China may decline, but Iran is emerging. No, it isn't as big, but it is big enough to provide a boost to all but the largest corporations. I could provide many other examples, but that would be giving the game away!

I find it incredible that more people dont review business and economic history. There isn't much that cant be viewed in the past. China is going through big challenges but didnt the US experience the 1929 crash and the depression of the early 30's?

I can save money and I can make money, I just need money. So hire me, consult me, talk to me and pay me. It doesn't matter whether you are in natural resources or IT or tourism, you will be surprised at my insight and at the very least I will be sure to make you think? However, I'll add clarity to your situation and I'll probably give you some decent ideas.

Of course you could hire a 30 or 40 year old who looks prettier and talks of having a great network and has worked for the big boys. You could hire someone who has enjoyed the luxury of a salary and having a prestigious business card. You could hire someone who thinks that real estate values only go up. You could hire someone who delivers lots of flattery and boosts your ego.

Or you could hire someone like me who will scare you but then build a plan for excitement and success.

I have made my mistakes, I have made big mistakes. I have been jealous and envious but I have savoured my successes.

I look forward to working with you

No comments:

Post a Comment