Sunday, May 22, 2011

The deterioration and waste of Starbucks (and their ilk)

I spend a lot of time (and money) in Starbucks. Between meetings, I am often found there drinking coffee and working on my laptop. Indeed, that is where I am writing this from. However, I have enormous frustration with these companies owing to poor execution and waste from what is hardly a cheap option.

This morning, I clearly asked for a 'tall black coffee for here'. The cashier rang up my bill and another assistant poured my coffee in a take away cup. I pointed out the error, but instead of pouring the coffee into a mug, she poured it away and poured another. A complete waste and hardly encouraging when I ask for a refill and am asked to pay an extra couple of bucks. The waste in pouring of expressos is equally annoying.

The expansion of these coffee shops around Singapore and Asia is indeed impressive, but I cant help feel that a backlash is coming soon. Slowly, some independents (that offer better coffee, better service and a better environment) are opening multiple branches. I certainly wouldn't be buying Starbucks stock here.

No comments:

Post a Comment