Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I want my 'iTunes' etc etc etc

One frustration from living in Singapore is the lack of access to iTunes and similar services. I'm not exactly sure why we are prohibited. I have heard that there are problems in payment systems (unlikely I believe), that the music industry have stopped it happening and that the Govt puts up restrictions.

Sure the local telcos have launched services, but they are extremely limited in their scope.

With the news of Google's new cloud based music service being launched without the music industry's co-operation, it seems as if the second reason is removed (unfortunately, it is only being released in the US for the time being). So is the Govt stopping digital downloads?

I hope that this isn't the case. Staying ahead in the digital economy demands access to what has become a semantic shift in behaviour in any country in which it has been launched.

For Singapore to stay in the game as a global player in digital media, we need such access. I should be able to download the same music, books and videos as I could in the US or UK even if I am carrying a Singapore credit card. Why cant I?

No comments:

Post a Comment